The first archaeological remains of this village correspond to the Mesolith, in the cave of Kobaua, although there is more information up to the time of the Romans. Thus, 1355 was the year in which the village of Markina was created by Prince Don Tello. In the Middle Ages, it was sheltered by a wall that surrounded the entire town. The municipality was formed in 1952 by the merger of the town of Markina and the neighbouring antechurch of Xemein.
Palaces and towers are located throughout the municipality, such as the Bidarte or Murga towers, Antxia or Ibarra, Ansotegi or Munibetxea, Barroeta, Ugarte and the Solartekua or Mugartegi palaces (now the town hall), Andonaegi, Patrokua or the house of Gaytan and Ayala.
There are several churches and chapels, the most special one is the chapel of San Miguel de Arretxinaga. Inside it contains three large stones, creating a natural rarity. There are many legends about these rocks. One of them tells that if we pass under the stones three times without touching them, we will find a partner in less than a year.
Without doubt, Markina-Xemein is known as the University of the Ball, due to the prominence of the pointed basket in the municipality. It was the first pelota court to be built in the 18th century. The best players of the cesta punta of all times have come from here.
Rest: the water park
In the vicinity of the sports centre there is a water park where you can cool down and spend a great day with the family.
The Ansotegi Tower, also known as the Munibetxea Tower, is located in the historic quarter of Markina-Xemein, next to the Antxia Tower.Read more
The Antxia Tower is located in the historic quarter of Markina-Xemein. It is a construction with an approximately quadrangular ground plan and a parallelepiped volume, with overhanging wooden eaves and a hipped roof.Read more
It was founded in 1691. It was the work of Ignacio de Munibe y Axpe, abbot of the Collegiate Church of Ziortza. In 1808 the convent was suppressed and turned into barracks for the French troops.Read more
The first known pelota court in Markina-Xemein dates back to 1702. Today it is located in the arcades in the centre of the village.Read more
In the gardens of the house, today the site of the Lea-Artibai education centre, you can visit the monument to Moguel, the work of the sculptor Xiri Andonegi, which represents some typographic forms with a message that corresponds to a passage from the work "Peru abarka".Read more
The pelota game, and more specifically the "cesta punta", is a modality that has traditionally brought many of the young pelotaris of this region to the courts of the most important pelota courts in the world.
This house is located in a rural setting, in the Urberuaga district of Markina-Xemein, 5 kilometres from Ondarroa...
Basque farmhouse from the 17th century restored in 2005 to be converted into a Rural House. It is located 10 km from the beach and in the middle of nature. Ideal place to rest and enjoy in a peaceful environment in the middle of nature.
It is located in the Ubila-Urberuaga neighbourhood, 3 km from Markina-Xemein. In a peaceful, quiet environment surrounded by nature.