The first known pelota court in Markina-Xemein dates back to 1702. Today it is located in the arcades in the centre of the village.
In 1798 a larger fronton was built, where today the inhabitants of the village can freely access and use it.
Years later, in 1883, the fronton was extended again, so that it could be used for “Zesta txiki” pelota games.
At the end of the 19th century, the first pelota games began to be played. Soon, the “Zesta-punta” modality took root in the village and became a place of leisure and meeting point for all its inhabitants.