Gerrikaitz was given the right or order to build a parish when it was founded. Labayru mentions the year 1402. As decided by the bishop of Kalahorra in January 1459, the parish had three priests. The local master Arteaga and his parishioners determined that it was necessary to build a new parish. The people of Arbatzegi disagreed, but the parish was built. The previous one was restored and opened again in 1847.