Originally a forge (dating from the 14th century), it was later a mill and farmhouse, and was later acquired by the town council.
When they demolished the building and began archaeological excavations, they found the remains of two forges from the 14th century.
The Bengola Natural Energy project is located on the slopes of Mount Oiz, near the start of the Lea Ibilbidea, in Munitibar; specifically in the historic centre of Gerrikaitz.
There is no place more appropriate for an interpretation centre on renewable energies and a leisure area, as it is home to the following potentialities:
– The Oiz wind farm (in the municipality of Munitibar); within sight and 5 kilometres from Bengola.
– The River Lea flows through the area. It is an exemplary river in terms of its conservation, and the incessant flow of its abundant water makes it suitable for use in hydraulic engineering.
– Lea Ibilbidea. The most important leisure infrastructure in the region runs through the area.
– The hillside facing south. Although it is not a very sunny spot, it is an example of a large area of the Basque Country and the possibilities it offers.
– As it is located in a rural setting, it is possible to combine educational and leisure activities with farmhouse activities, which are currently in decline. In this way, it will be possible to promote the latter activity.
It is also worth mentioning the garden around the building, which has been converted into a perfect place for visitors to stroll and rest.